domingo, 14 de dezembro de 2008

WHAT IS KARTING?
by Filipe Lacerda, no. 8

I have been racing karts since 2007. Karting is a very well known sport and you can do it as a professional or just for fun!

Kart racing, or karting, is a variant of open-wheel motor sport with simple, small four-wheeled vehicles called karts. They are usually raced on scaled-down circuits. Karts vary widely in speed and some can reach speeds exceeding 250 km/h. A regular kart with a 125 cc 2-stroke engine has an overall weight, including the driver, of 150 kilograms.
Karting was developed in the USA and has rapidly spread to other countries.The first kart manufacturer was an American company, Go Kart Manufacturing Co. in 1958. In a kart, wheels and tires are much smaller than those used on a normal car. Similar to other motorsports, kart tires have different types for different conditions.
Kart racing is generally accepted as the most economic form of motorsport available. As a free-time activity, it can be performed by almost anybody, and as a motorsport the licence to race is available for anyone from the age of 8.
I started to race karts just for fun! I used to go to Évora kart circuit to race sometimes with my family. It was very fun! After some races I started to participate as a competitor in some professional races. Then, as liked it so much, my parents said I could start training professionally! I have been in about twenty races since I started and I won 3 races. I am usually one of the first ten to finish.

At present, I run in the ROTAX MAX Challenge, a very famous kart competition! I’m on the JUNIOR MAX category.

WHAT’S THE ROTAX MAX CHALLENGE?

The Rotax MAX Challenge (RMC) is a professional kart racing series established, owned and organised by Rotax and its distributors.
ROTAX is one of the world leaders in racing kart engine production. In 2000 ROTAX were responsible for introducing a karting series around the world called the ‘ROTAX MAX Challenge’ (RMC).
Today, the ROTAX MAX Challenge is run all over the world covering all five continents and popularity for the series continues to grow. ROTAX distributors in the various countries organise their national series. In 2004, the ROTAX MAX Challenge had more than 3,700 competitors. In the races, only Rotax kart engines are allowed.


ROTAX has encouraged various levels of karters to participate in the ROTAX MAX Challenge.

There are three different race classes:
• JUNIOR MAX
• SENIOR MAX
• DD2 (2 speed shifter class)

In every kart race, the first three karters get a trophy as a reward! It’s great! I love karting!



Posted by: Vasco Marino

2 comentários:

Anónimo disse...

karting, hem? sweet.

Anónimo disse...

Our Filipe is the best,don't you think?

Isabel